Monday, April 4, 2011

Shallow and High Waters


I’m shallow. Kind of. My master plan of going out with someone who is atypical for me may actually work, if I can just get this guy new pants. This weekend I met up with Brandon for a drink. I liked that he wasted no time getting in touch with me. He noticed me noticing him (yes, this can happen online) because I checked out his profile and then right after that he emailed me. We only emailed twice and he had already asked to meet. Yes! Finally, a guy who isn’t dilly dallying with the pen pal thing. He came across as straight-laced in his profile, maybe a tad boring, but that’s what I wanted—I wanted to be won over on the actual date. Brandon got to the bar first and when I walked in I noticed something. His pants were, um, way too short. I’m sorry, but if you’re standing, I shouldn’t see socks. He was kind of cute, and I cursed myself for thinking about pants when I’m trying to find the love of my life. I took a deep breath, opened my mouth to show off the thousands of dollars my dad spent giving me nice teeth, and greeted Brandon with a hug. It’s funny because he seemed almost unsure of me in the beginning, too. He was already drinking a beer so I ordered my own drink on my own dime. That’s okay, it’s a new Nicole, I can pay for my own drink. Plus, it didn’t really matter, I knew the bartender so I got my drink for free anyway.

Back to Brandon. We got to talking right away, and because of some facebook stalking, we had both discovered that we had a mutual friend. The more we talked, the more I liked Brandon. He seemed more mature than most guys I had been out with and was very genuine. He seemed like he knew what he wanted, and the way he talked about his career was a new turn-on for me. He was so ambitious and motivated to be successful. His short pants that had me worried in the beginning were now a distant thought. Besides, if we continued dating, I’m blunt enough that I could just be like, “Hey, your pants are short, let me buy you some new ones.” Pants can be changed easily, but people can’t be so I’d rather have a good person with bad clothes. We left with just a hug and while I’m not sure I’m physically attracted to him, I was excited to agree with him that we should go out again. We’ll be getting together again this week, and the good news is the weather is warming up—shorts are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment