Monday, May 9, 2011

Relationship Has Sailed

Birthdays are supposed to be fun, and they usually are fun unless you are celebrating for a guy you’ve only dated for a month and you’re meeting all of his friends for the first time.  And so a couple weekends ago I was on my way with Brandon to have dinner and drinks in honor of his 26th.  The night was fine.  I didn’t feel like I “clicked” with any of his friends or any of their girlfriends which was slightly upsetting.  Friends are like the family—you definitely want to connect with someone in the entourage.  Throughout the night I kept seeing the other couples being all cute and smiling at each other and being touchy.  And then there was me and Brandon.  I had no desire to do any of those things or to be that way with him.  That’s not good, right?  Overall the night was fine.  I think in my heart I know that Brandon isn’t it, but I feel like I need to give it more time, at least until we reach 6 weeks because by then, really, I will know for sure.

A day or two after his birthday, we had one of our usual phone conversations except for one thing: he brought up “us.”  Blah.  I’ve been dreading this because I knew I saw it as him and me and he saw it as us.  He started by saying one of his friends asked if we were exclusive.  We’re both not dating others so in that way, yes, I guess we are.  Brandon wants to say that we are in a relationship.  I want to say we are dating.  I know, stupid semantics, and what does it all matter anyway?  Well, to me it matters.  A lot.  I can sense I’m about to jump ship and it’s easier to do when you’re not connected to anyone.  Hmm, well, unless they were some type of rescue person then I’d definitely want to be connected to them, but regardless of this ridiculous metaphor, I don’t want that much commitment with him at this point.  He left the conversation with, “Well, call it what you want, I’m saying we’re in a relationship.”  That’s great for you, Brandon, I’ll wave to you from land.

1 comment: