Monday, December 13, 2010

SRY, 2 L8T


This whole online dating process is starting to become frustrating, but I found myself gearing up for yet another date, or “get together” as I like to call them. A date sounds too promising. After school one day, I met up with Mike for a couple drinks. He played baseball at a crosstown rival high school so we were able to find people we both knew. Like many of the others, the conversation was easy, and he was a really nice guy. He also seemed more mature than some of the guys I had been out with before. Bonus! After a couple hours and a couple drinks, we ended our night with a hug and plans to make plans for another get together.

A few nights later, I went to his apartment with the intention of us figuring out what to do/where to go. We ended up telling stories and talking that we never made it out. I think I also felt bad to actually go out because I could tell I wasn’t romantically interested in him. There was nothing wrong with him, I just didn’t like him like that, and I didn’t want to go through all the hoopla of a “date” when I knew it wasn’t really going anywhere. We had conflicting schedules coming up that it made things difficult to go out again. I viewed this as a lucky break for me since I didn’t really know how to tell someone I wasn’t interested when it had only been a couple dates. Mike pursued me a little bit, and unfortunately like his predecessors, he did this only through texting. Sometimes I wonder if I lose interest because they don’t show enough. Pick up the phone and call.

What do ya know? Mike did call a few days after he had texted me about getting together, but I had family in town so I couldn’t commit to anything. I was glad he made the step to call, but by that point I had moved on. There’s an overwhelming amount of options with online dating, and while it has its moments when I want to hide my profile, I am so thankful for all of these opportunities to meet different guys and to really find out/understand what I want, what I need, what I don’t want, and most importantly, to reaffirm my belief that when I meet the right person, I’ll just know. Sadly for Mike, I knew it wasn’t him. And now, my biggest question: am I really the only person in this world who believes that a phone call is more personal than a text? There's gotta be someone who feels the same and hopefully my match search will yield him in the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment