Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Think Too Much Waiting

I guess pretty can only take a girl so far. Apparently I think too much which is just devastating to a potential relationship. Yup. That was Daniel’s reason. At least I think that was his reason. I never really got an explanation. This whole conversation came up soon after he museum-stalked my pictures. When I asked him for clarification he laughed and said, “See? You’re thinking too much into it. Just be yourself, don’t worry about it.” Umm huh? As confused as I was, I didn’t worry about it because I had no clue what to worry about. I was truly blank as to where his thought came from. We did continue talking after that and everything was normal. I went out of town and things were still normal. Then, not normal. No returning phone calls. No sending messages. No texting back. Nothing. I stepped up the crazy because I wanted answers, darnit! Abandonment had happened too many times, and I was looking for justice!

Through texting, this exchange occurred:

Me: I’m feeling that you’re not interested anymore.

Daniel: I think you’re a really sweet girl and I want to see you again, but I think you think too much about things.

Ok, I think YOU think too much about things since we’re having this conversation about I don’t even know what. Oh, and then I never heard from him again. That's. Just. Great. After that, I had given up. There was so much promise with Daniel, but I was left broken. I didn’t cry, though, he just wasn’t worth it. And he lived in Alexandria so thank God I didn’t have to drive out there anymore at least. Next, I did what any totally sane yet boy-frustrated single girl would do: I called the next guy on the list. Sweet Nick. My Italian-Irish Boston hunk who canceled our date and thus I landed in Daniel’s big but jerk arms. Out of all the hundreds of profiles I had looked at, his was always the one I came back to. He didn’t blab about himself forever, it was brief and to the point, and he had all pictures of himself, not his dog and not the landscape of whatever nature hike he may have gone on. He was a guy’s guy. I did not succeed at getting him to talk on the phone, but 400 text messages later, we had plans to meet for a drink. The attraction, for me, was instant. Despite his claims to be shy, he was very friendly, open, and we were cracking jokes about each other soon after meeting. He kept telling me I could go ahead and put him in the “friend category,” I guess anticipating that I wasn’t gonna like him? Uh yeah, that’s definitely not the category I want to put you in. We shared common values, personalities were similar, and the chemistry was just right. As we said our good-byes though, the perfect evening got a slight snag in its pantyhose. I sort of told him to grow a set. Ok, not sort of, I out right told him to. He was seeming nonchalant about what he wanted or what his next move would be so I laid it out and told him if he didn’t want anything or to go out again then that was fine. But if he liked me then I liked him so he needed to yes, grow a set, and ask me out again. I know, I’ve got the perfect words for securing that second date. Maybe one day I’ll learn to hold my tongue, or maybe one day I’ll find the guy that can handle my comments/not take them to heart too much. A few minutes later, I sent a text apologizing since I figured I had already scared him once with that comment, I didn’t want to scare him again with a phone call. He was very cool about it and said he did want to go out again. We’ve been texting, with plans tentatively hovering above us, but not actually solidified. I’ve been told it’s his responsibility to set the date, so, for now, I wait again to see his next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment