Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Disharmony


Okay, confession. Awhile ago, I turned my back on match. I was seeing the same guys come up in my searches over and over and over again, and it seemed like many of them weren’t really wanting anything serious. Oh, and by seemed, I mean that they would explicitly say in their profiles “not looking for anything serious, let’s have fun and see what happens.” This reputation of non-seriousness has apparently become synonymous with match, but there are people like that in real life so it is what it is. Even if match isn’t based around compatibility criteria, there’s something to be said for reading someone’s profile and looking at their picture and just knowing that they’re The One—to wink at or email and cross your fingers that they actually respond, and then maybe, just maybe, a get together can be set. My attention and match-finding focus turned toward using a different online dating site that believes people will find love based on common qualities, values, and interests. That’s tough for those of us who are really not good people at our core, but at this point, I had nothing to lose. Except a ton of money and hours of question-answering.

I got roped into the 3 month minimum subscription for my new dating site with a payment that ended up being roughly $1, 253. I didn’t realize I was on Millionaire Matchmaker here, but maybe this stuff works. I sat down at my computer and answered every. single. question. as if I were taking a college final exam. Except this isn’t a college exam, this is supposed to be my gateway to finding love! There was no profile to create. There was no method of letting your personality come through. It was all very, well, computerized. Everyone answered the same mostly-multiple-choice questions and that constituted your profile. I wanted my match back, why did I ever leave? I was doubtful of this. I trust myself enough that I can follow my heart to a potential soulmate instead of following what a computer system tells me. Then again, I’m still single. So, that robot did beat those people on Jeopardy, right? Maybe the robot will also rock as Cupid? 

No comments:

Post a Comment