Monday, December 26, 2011

Identity Crisis

It’s been quite a while since I started dabbling in online dating with the persona of KpSmyln. As you all know, I did have some measureable amount of success, but mostly a large amount of measureable failure. During my time with Jeremy, a close friend of mine inquired a couple times about setting me up with a friend of her boyfriend’s. Say what? Meeting someone from other actual people instead of my SONY computer? I’m not sure about this. When she asked me to meet the guy, I had an easy out while dating Jeremy because as much as he…yeah, I’ll say it…as much as he sucked at life, I was still with him and was trying to make it work. When that whole thing ended non-tragically, I gave my friend the green light to help me meet my first, err maybe third, real life match!

And then it happened. I went out the night before our group date and I met someone. IN real life. He was a youngin’ military boy, about 22 years old. I liked that he wasn’t drunk. He was relaxed, walked up to me, and told me he thought I was beautiful. Then he walked away. Wha, where’d he go?? That boy is good because he got my attention. The place we were at was really big and spread out so when we kept running into each other, you know it was fate. We ended up going out the next day where I learned that he has a rough past. He cleans up nicely, but he’s got a tough attitude since he’s been through some stuff. Anyway, despite all this, he was such a nice, good guy, and he was easy to get along with…you know, in those eight hours that I knew him. I actually kinda liked him, but I had to go to my next meeting of a boy from real life.

Our double “date” was happening at Tysons Mall since it was most conducive to where we all were. I was introduced to Richard. He was cute, a little more pretty boy than I like, but very very friendly. I could’ve sworn he looked familiar. His name stood out to me because I hadn’t met many of them in my life. I eavesdropped on Richard’s conversation with his friend, and a couple key things clicked that I knew I had heard before. Then, I was told his last name and I knew it. I had met Richard before. We met five years ago at a bar, and we had even exchanged numbers. Back then, I was just learning how life worked, let alone boy/girl interactions, so I actually made the effort to get in touch with him, and he was quite dismissive back then. 

On our now date, I waited for the perfect time to say, “So, Richard, we met five years ago at a bar.” He started laughing and said, “I knew you looked familiar!” Even better proof of our previous encounter, he still had my number in his phone. Maybe it’s time to hang up my online dating uniform and go back to how God intended things to be: Get set up with a bar guy from years ago who was uninterested and now has to go out with you because you have mutual friends. Yeah. That sounds like a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment