Monday, November 21, 2011

Can't Argue With Stupid, But I Tried Anyway


You’ve seen the typical email that lands in my inbox, and I’m sure the inbox of most girls on match. Who knows, this may even be how girls are toward guys, too. My friend right below baited me with, “How are you?” I responded with the same email that I sent to the other 11 guys: Hi, there, ~While I don’t know if you’ve been successful with your previous emails for online dating, I’d like to offer a simple suggestion for sending the initial email: Use your words to show the girl that you’ve read her profile. Find some common ground or ask her questions. Including your name would also be an important step. Good luck in your search!

Now comes our email exchanges…
Idiot:
You're kidding me right? Isn't that a little selfish? Little one sided maybe? Why should I spend a half hour or close to it trying to write a long interesting letter when I have no idea if you interested in me? I have a profile too. Its there for you to read. If after you read it and are interested and respond to my message; then I'll write a nice long letter.

Match.com expert (minus the fact that I haven’t found “love.” Minor detail.):
I don't think it's selfish at all. I do the same thing when I email a guy. It doesn't have to be long, and it shouldn't be long. Just a few sentences to show that you have an interest. Obviously you can continue as you would like!

Idiot:
A few short sentences? Then what's the difference? you'll still get the same few short sentences from every guy. There is only so many few short sentences that can be written about your profile. And since guys mostly find the same stuff interesting...or at least guys that find a girl interesting would probbaly be for the same reasons. You'll still get the same email over and over again

Match.com expert:
The messages are not the same--people share different interests, and personalities can come through more with a few sentences than a "hey." If you've been so successful with your method, then what's the big deal about what I said?
Again, do what you'd like, I was simply sharing what I've learned.

After all of this back and forth, he relented and realized that I wasn’t being nasty, I was really just trying to help a brotha out.

No comments:

Post a Comment