Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Marriage And A Divorce

Sweet Jesus that day has come! One of my best friends got married, and…wait for it…Jeremy and I are OVER! Wow, I’m really happy about that, aren’t I? Probably a sign that it should’ve been over long ago. I could sense the end was near, and his behavior throughout the wedding night really helped me know that I couldn’t stand to be with him any longer. So, we’ve well established that Jeremy is cheap, and in case I didn’t say it before, I actually told this to him, which resulted in him saying, “Don’t say that! My ex-girlfriend said that and my friends say that! I’m not cheap!” and then he hung up the phone. Okay, I’ll leave that one alone, you all can fill in whatever jokes you’d like! The wedding required a hotel stay. Now, I understand that he was my plus one at the wedding, and I didn’t expect him to pay for the hotel room. I simply thought it would be a great opportunity for him to show that he can be manly and he can financially take care of things. If he offered to pay for the hotel room, it could have shown that he maybe wasn’t as cheap. When it came to paying the room bill, he said, “Hey, we can split it.” Umm no, this isn’t a Costco size muffin that has too many calories for one person. “No, I’ll take care of it,” I told him. Okay, he’s still cheap.

Let’s see, what else happened…oh, he left me. Yup, he left the reception. Family emergency? He didn’t feel well? No. There was a game on. The Super Bowl? World Series? Whatever the ice hockey championship is called? Nope! It was some unknown college football game. Feeling like maybe I was being a little dramatic at thinking this was ridiculous behavior, I checked in with a guy friend who was at the wedding, too. He thought Jeremy was a d-bag for leaving the wedding for a game, and especially an unimportant game. He came back to the reception and then we danced. Ohhh, the dance. So many dramatics over the dancing. Simple story: We slow danced. I asked for a few more inches between us so my head wouldn’t pop off because he was holding me so close I had nowhere to put my head except way far backwards. He cried about it and left the reception. Again. A couple other unsettling events happened that night, and I realized that I had tried to make this work, but simply put: I couldn’t stand him. A couple days later we talked and I told him that we aren’t a good match for each other at all. He didn’t see it that way, and he was quite surprised I wanted out.

I will say that he slowed his drinking a lot during the time that we were together, and he seemed pretty upset when we ended. He was almost speechless. I could’ve sworn it was a near-tears type of speechless. I’m proud of myself for really giving this one a try, but I’m upset with myself at the same time for letting it go as long as it did. Plus, I should’ve picked up on all the criticisms I had about him and ended the madness way earlier.

So, where to go from here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment