Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Court Date


Last time Greg and I hung out, his most recent outrageous comment was, “I don’t think what I said to you is any worse than the things you have said to me.”  His rationale for this was that yes, he knowingly said hurtful things, but at least he knew they were hurtful. The things I say to him, you know, those really quite insignificant things that he keeps manipulating into whatever drama he wants them to be, are WORSE because I am not thinking about how he will interpret them and therefore I am a worse person because I am not thinking of him. Here’s the thing--I’ll kick your ass and I’m pretty sure there will be no misinterpretation on anyone’s part. I drilled my point to a certain degree because I knew he just wouldn’t see it, but I did make sure to tell him that he completely misreads everything so the only way for me to 'watch his feelings' I guess would be for me to not speak. And that just ain't gon' happen. I don’t intend harm when I say things, but he outright meant to hurt me during the texting war. I’m still not sure he understands what I’m saying.

How? How do I end up with these people? And why? Why do I continue to go out with them? Oh yeah, for the stories. Read on…

To help ease the crazy amount of tension forming between Greg and I, my peace-making gesture was to treat him to a movie. I chose a comedy—since apparently I can’t make him laugh, maybe the guys in the movie will be able to. All was good, and it was great to have a calm evening for once. I guess because I wasn’t talking and so he had nothing to cry about? That was mean, I’m sorry. Actually, no, no I’m not. He deserved it. Anyway, regardless of why it was a nice time, I’ll take it. I even made a good effort to hold his hands and all that other nonsense. It didn’t feel forced which is a step in the positive direction. AND he even laughed! Again, not at my hilarious comments, but at least I know he does have a sense of humor buried somewhere in there.

When the movie ended, Greg and I ended up outside the theater in the town center, pondering what to do next. He asked if I wanted to go back to his house, but I was tired. Well, first honestly: I was getting a little tired of the drive over there. Second honestly: I felt like I had been doing a lot to smooth things over from his tantrum, and I don’t think he was doing enough so why should I cater to him? Third honestly: The movie was good, the night was fine, time to go home. Well, FINALLY Greg interpreted something correctly. He said, “It doesn’t seem like you’re okay from what happened.” Good job, Greggy! Took ya long enough! I told him, “I’m still trying to move on from the things that you said and time will really be helpful here.” The conversation went on a bit longer, but voices were calm, tones were friendly, and I even kept my Italian-flailing hands at rest.

A kiss good-bye and I was on my way home. He does have a lot of great qualities, and I really like that he’s looking toward the future (in terms of having a family) which is unlike pretty much every other male creature in the DC area. He’s a hard worker, has a nice group of friends, close with his siblings, outgoing, masculine (minus the whole crying and can’t-take-a joke-thing), and I think he does have a good heart, it’s just a little messed up at times. When I arrived home, I saw this text: “I thought things were going fine tonight at the movies, but then we were standing there outside the theater arguing. And then it ended awkwardly.”

Oh, s*** Greg. You need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment