Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ef-fort-less: adj. Displaying no signs of effort

This morning, I rolled out of bed, took a quick shower, and pieced together a simple outfit. Despite my night of drinking that had just ended a few hours before, I was preparing myself for a match date, although this really was more of a “meet up.” Jared lived in Arlington, but he had work to get done which he was doing at the Panera just 10 minutes from my house. I wasn’t sure if I should go because as casual and informal as I am, this was like a half-assed offer of a date, and it made Jared look like he wasn’t into me enough to ask me on a real date. I should have said, “Sorry, no test drives,” but in trying to keep an open mind, I figured I’d give it a chance.
I walked into the crowded Panera, shocked at how busy it was. My eyes bounced from each person, trying to determine if he was Jared. Finally, in the back corner (of course) I spotted Jared. I walked up and put my hand on the back of his shoulder to give him warning that I would soon be in front of him. “Hey! I found you!” I exclaimed. He was very warm and friendly and offered to buy me a coffee or breakfast.
We warmed up with our drinks and learning about Jared was great; I’m a people person by nature, and I love hearing life stories and how people came to be. We talked for maybe an hour and a half when we both felt ready to leave. We walked out together, him rolling his little wheely briefcase thing, and me fumbling for my keys. We shared a brief hug, and Jared told me that he would be there again tomorrow, if I want to join him again. “Okay, yeah, I’ll see,” I told him in a non-committal tone. Of course I’m not going to go see him again. He seemed like a great guy but I was put off that he wasn’t trying harder. I don't get why he bothers getting on match if he just wants to have a random playdate. If a guy wants me, he’ll come and get me. At least that’s what I’ve been told. Fingers crossed it actually happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment