Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Made In China--And India

Why do I do this to myself? Every time I tell myself I’ll step away from match.com, I get bored, start browsing, and before I know it, I’ve got winks and emails flying at me. Trying to stay away from guys who are d-bags was my top priority this time around…and really it should be every time I guess. But I was really trying to pay close attention to the words and the pictures. Just like I teach my kids with reading. You can learn a lot from looking at the context of both pictures and what the author wrote. I settled on Jim. His words seemed sincere and his pictures were…well, they were GORGEOUS. He was so pretty but he didn’t even know how pretty he was. He was half Chinese half Indian—I’ve come across many products from China and India and none of them looked as good as he did.
We met for dinner, and as I watched him walk towards me I was actually happy. Finally, I was meeting a guy who I was excited about! I felt pretty confident he wouldn’t be a jerk, and I was almost certain he had no kids or ex-wife. We had dinner and drinks and it was wonderful. It was like a real grown-up date. His manners were almost too good. He had ordered a sandwich (yay, no salad!), and the sandwich was overstuffed so it wasn’t the neatest thing ever to eat, but hey, it’s food, who cares? Halfway through his sandwich he called it quits on eating. That’s right, he ate only half his sandwich because it was too messy. What?! Not finishing your food is considered a sin in my family. He may have had a box to bring home, but I finished my entire dinner because I’m a good Italian-Arab! He walked me to my car and we agreed to talk and set up another date.
Ahhh, Jim. What happened? There was no intention of not talking again. We did have a couple more conversations and then I’m not sure what happened. I think this one was my fault. I lost track of time and got inundated at school and just, yeah. I never called him back. By the time I realized my mistake, I didn’t know what to do—let it go? Move on to another guy? Call him and try again? Maybe I should have called even after a couple weeks had gone by, but I didn’t. I’m kicking myself for letting it get away from me. Jim was a good guy, and now I have to get back on my trusty computer and hope that there’s another Chinese-Indian with good manners, a pretty face, and a nice personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment