Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dancing Queen

Jeremy and I are still dating even after the Friday night fiasco. What was the fiasco you ask? Basically, he apparently likes to drink. A lot. And even worse, he really can’t handle himself when he drinks. He’s been out of college for five years now. I know I’m a senior citizen when it comes to going out and everything, but at least I don’t look like a fool when I drink. If you like drinking, fine. But don’t embarrass me in the process. Speaking of embarrassing, not only is he a messy drunk, he’s a terrible dancer. Even worse, he THINKS he’s a good dancer. Scouts honor, I don't make this up. I had collected some energy and was really enjoying myself, I was getting to know his friends (typical college group of a buncha guys and a buncha girls), and I felt relaxed sitting on the bar’s patio, sipping my vodka tonic.

Then Jeremy decides he wants to dance. Please, no, I beg him. I do like to dance, but I have to be in the mood, and umm, I could just get the feeling that he wouldn’t be a good dancer, and I’m sorry, but I need someone to keep up when we’re out there. After five minutes of him whining like a child who wants a cookie when his mother is telling him to eat a banana, I relented. I couldn’t deal with his dramatics any longer. The dance floor is a decent size, but it shrinks when you try to pack 100 people on it. Jeremy didn’t seem to care. He danced so big and so wide, bumping into all sorts of people, and this child had not a care in the world. Jeremy may be tall, but he’s not exactly the buffest guy around. I started to notice some um, physically fit gentlemen who wanted to “speak” with him. I mouthed “I’m sorry” to them and watched their eyes sadden when they realized what I was stuck with. Their girlfriends looked even sadder for me. Finally, I grabbed Jeremy’s collar and pulled him in close to me. “Look, we’re on a tight dance floor, and you’re dancing real big right now, so you need to bring it in or we’re leaving.”  Like a child who had been scolded by his mother for eating the cookie instead of the banana, he bent his head and whispered an apology. We danced a little more and then headed out. I’m not totally put off just yet, but this is something that will definitely need monitoring. I don’t plan on being his bodyguard again so he needs to pull it together or this will become a major issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment