Sunday, September 4, 2011

Old. No ‘Er.’ Just, Old.

Derek and I never talked again, but I liked him and what he represented. He was a true gentleman, a hard worker, polite, stable (at least it seemed like it), and many other qualities that I had given up on finding in a guy. Derek was 35 which I thought was a good age, and more and more I was beginning to like the idea of (hopefully) ending up with someone who had a few years on me. So after Derek and I went out but didn’t work out, I jumped back on match and searched with an age range with a minimum of 35 years and put a max at 45 years. The results were…varied, for sure. It’s amazing how different a couple of 40 year olds can look! Some guys were among the best I had ever seen and others looked like they were already able to get the early bird dinner special at IHOP. There were three guys that stood out to me, and I just went out with one of them. The other two are scheduled for this week. I guess I’m a slight pessimist at this point since I was anticipating that I would be available to go out with someone else.

Steve is a divorced, 44-year-old lawyer, with a child. Well, a 22-year-old child. Slightly awkward to think about going out with someone whose son is a mere 4 years younger than me, but he had similar characteristics to Derek that I liked. Unfortunately for Steve (and me), he had many characteristics that were different from Derek that I did not like. At all. Before meeting, we talked on the phone a couple times and the conversation was very easy. He was a talker, but that’s fine because I can be a talker, too. Steve’s profile was fun—it showcased his personality very clearly, and his high energy translated from written word to spoken word. We settled on a Starbucks date. I walked in and quickly scanned the room. Ummm. I must be at the wrong Vienna Starbucks (I mean, really, there are about three within a 4 block strip). All of these guys are old. None of them look like Steve. I panicked for a moment; then Steve appeared in front of me. And I panicked again. Oh no! He looks old! “You look different,” I spit out. Turns out it was his hair that was different, not the fact that he definitely seemed to have aged 10 years between internet world and reality. Regardless, I was there and decided to give it a shot. I said he was a talker, and sadly, he’s not a listener at all. He talks. And talks. Andddd talks. All. About. Himself. Another major turn off: it was quite evident that he only liked me because I am young. Ew. I’m so grossed out just writing about it.

The “date” didn’t end at Starbucks. We hiked across the parking lot to the local Whole Foods. Whole Foods?! We’re going grocery shopping?! He needed to pick up a few things, so, ya know, he thought it would win over his date to bring her to the food store. This is even grosser to say, but I felt like I was out with my dad. Steve just seemed so…old. I knew after that I for sure could never go out with him again. The way we left it, I was in control. Ha ha, I love being in control! Steve and I never talked again which is quite all right because I’ve got a date with Ben later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment